Google Ads offers a variety of advertising options for businesses, but one of the most popular and effective ways to scale your ads lately is by using Performance Max campaigns.
Scaling a Google Ads campaign using Performance Max can help businesses reach a larger audience and increase conversions. However, it’s essential to follow best practices to maximize the effectiveness of your campaign and avoid overspending. Performance Max campaigns use machine learning to adjust your bids and ad delivery automatically to maximize conversions within your target cost-per-acquisition (CPA).
Here are some best practices to follow when using Performance Max campaigns to scale your Google Ads.
- Carefully select the right keywords: Choose keywords relevant to your business and have a good search volume but not too much competition. You can use the Keyword Planner tool to find keywords that meet these criteria.
- Next, it’s crucial to structure your campaign correctly, which means organizing your Performance Max campaign into asset groups for each audience you want to target and creating well-written ads tailored to each ad group using different messaging in your strategy, copy, and creatives.
- Another consideration when scaling Google Ads campaigns is your budget. Setting a realistic budget for growth and Performance Max’s capabilities is important. Since the campaign uses so many placements (Shopping, Search, Display, Discover, Maps, Gmail, and YouTube), you must ensure you have enough budget. We recommend having at least $100 daily for each asset group inside your Performance Max campaigns.
- Test different bidding strategies: Performance Max allows you to choose from different bidding strategies, such as target CPA, target ROAS, and maximize conversions. Experiment with different strategies to see which one works best for your campaign; this also works as a safety net to protect you from overspending and inefficiency in your ad budget.
- Monitor your campaign regularly and make adjustments: It’s essential to monitor your Performance Max campaign to ensure that it meets your target CPA and delivers the desired results. As such, we recommend regularly reviewing Performance Max Insights, asset group performance, and ads to ensure they’re still relevant and effective. You should also periodically check your budget and adjust it as needed. Increase every 2-3 weeks if you meet your goals or decrease accordingly to ensure you’re spending appropriately.
In conclusion, scaling your Google Ads using Performance Max can be a powerful way to reach a larger audience and drive more conversions. By carefully selecting the right keywords, properly structuring your campaign, setting a realistic budget, testing out different bidding strategies, and regularly monitoring and optimizing your campaign, you can maximize the effectiveness of your campaign and avoid overspending.
Following these best practices, you can effectively use Performance Max campaigns to scale your Google Ads and maximize your ad budget.
Lead Paid Search Media Buyer
Kris Beltins is a Google Ads team lead at Evestar. With 5 years of experience in eCommerce and digital marketing, Kris has built multiple 7-figure eCommerce businesses and managed over $9M+ in Google Ads spend personally, while leading strategy for multiple eCommerce brands doing $20-30M yearly revenue.
Like what you're seeing?
Let’s Work Together!